ALWAYS START AT HAMBURG TOWNSHIP!
If you go to Livingston County Building Department first, they will send you back to Hamburg Township Zoning Administration.
Permit Guide Book for County Services (pdf)
Land Use Permit required for the following:
- The excavation, alteration or filling of land.
- The new use or change in use of land or an existing building.
- Window, Door, Siding, Roof, and Gutter work require a $15 Land Use Permit Waiver.
- A Land Use Permit Application Form with contact information filled out including: Proof of Ownership and Tax Identification Number.
- Three(3) copies of a site plan of your property showing the location of all existing structures, septic tank and fields, well, grinder pump, sewer lines, easements, alleys, roads and water. It is also necessary to note the dimensions of structures from property lines and in between structures. Note: We rely on property owners in providing us with where their property lines are located. If you do not know exactly where your property lines are please considered obtaining a boundary survey including location of structures on the lot. Here is a list of area surveyors.
- Three(3) copies of construction plans: For each project plans must contain front, side and rear elevations, floor plan, foundation plan, window and door placement, cross sections as required by code, electrical, plumbing and heating/air-conditioning detailing. For re-roofing, plumbing or electrical, a description of work and list of materials is usually sufficient.
- Notarized letter of permission from homeowner or copy of signed contract between contractor and the homeowner.
- The Zoning Administrator may, at their discretion, require further documentation if deemed necessary. -Such as the following: If you are in a designated floodplain area or on the Huron River, you will/may be required to submit a copy of your MDEQ (Michigan Department of Environmental Quality) permit, and/or an Elevation Certificate (either view on online or we have printed copies of the blank form available in the office) that reflect the elevations on your construction plans. You will also need to provide a completed Elevation Certificate at final construction.
- Lot corners/sides must be clearly staked/marked.
- Lot lines must be marked with string for accurate lot line identification (when applicable).
- Project corners must be clearly staked and the building perimeter footprint marked with string.
- Lot must be clearly identified with a sign (i.e. “Lot 49” or “Smith’s Lot”). If an address is issued, address must be visible from the road.
- If your project is not clearly identifiable, Land Use Permit approval can be delayed and a $25 re-inspection fee maybe charged.
After you have taken care of any outstanding compliance items, you should call us and request a re-inspection. After the inspector approves it, your bond moneywill be returned to you. NOTE: A reinspection fee of $25.00 will be added to the cost of the bond, and must be paid by separate check. - Thank you.
Updated: August 2, 2018