Permit Process & Forms

Permit Process & Other Planning & Zoning Forms

* ALWAYS START AT HAMBURG TOWNSHIP! - Most construction/permitted projects also require a Building Permit from Livingston County, however a Land Use Permit is required prior to going to Livingston County. 

Land Use Permit Forms and Procedures:
   * All land use permits require homeowners' authorization (signature or signed contract) *  -  See other requirements in the packet below.
Other helpful information for constructing buildings: 
  Accessory Buildings and Structures (Garages, barns, sheds) Requirements
  Balcony, Deck, Elevated Deck, Patio and Porch (Yard Encroachments) Requirements
  Fences, Walls and Screens Requirements
  Lot Coverage Calculator
  Height Calculator for Accessory Structures
  Well & Septic Records (Livingston County Health Department)
  * If the property is on township sewer, then any and all construction & development must be at least 7.5 feet from the grinder pump and sewer service easement - Contact Utilities Coordinator at (810)-231-1000 Ext. 210 for questions.

  • Fee Schedule   
    • Note: Fees are non-refundable unless application is withdrawn prior to issuance of a permit or other plan review. 
  • Local Surveyors List (updated 2020
    • Note: We rely on property owners in providing us with where their property lines are located. If you do not know exactly where your property lines are please considered obtaining a boundary survey including location of structures on the lot.
Zoning Amendment, Special Use Permit & Site Plan Review Forms
    * In Michigan, if a Special Use Permit is needed, then a Site Plan Review is also required.

                Request Fire Marshal Inspection

Frequently Asked Questions:

How long will it take to get a Land Use Permit?

  Estimated review time is 2-5 days for complete application review on residential projects.  Applications for commercial projects may take up to 14 days to review.  Incomplete applications or applications requiring additional information to be provided may result in delays.  Please review the permit application checklist thoroughly to ensure your application is complete, and submit all required information well in advance of project start dates to avoid delays. Many projects also require building permits with Livingston County Building Department, which they need additional time to review permit applications. Please contact their office if you have questions about the building permit process at (517)-546-3240.

How do I request Final Zoning Compliance?
  Contact us at (810)-231-1000 Ext. 230.

How do I request Certificate of Occupancy?
  Certificate of Occupancy or Completion is issued from Livingston County Building Department, however you must have a Final Zoning Compliance inspection and approval first. Building Department phone number: (517)-546-3240. 

How do I apply for a Variance (ZBA)?
  Follow this link to the Zoning Board of Appeals webpage for the variance application packet - Click Here

How do I apply to split or combine a property? (or do a boundary line adjustment) 
  Follow this link to the webpage for the application form and ordinance requirements - Click Here.

What zoning district is my property zoned? And what am I permitted to do with m
y property?
  View the Zoning Map here (Unfortunately, this is not an interactive map). If you are unable to find your property please feel free to contact us at (810)-231-1000 Ext. 230 or email us.
  Once you know your zoning district you can be directed to Article 7 (District Regulations) of the Zoning Ordinance here, to further determine what permitted uses are allowed in that zoning district for you property. 

How do I find where my well and septic are located?

  Records may be found online here, or contact Livingston County Health Department at (517)-546-9850.

How do I determine where my property lines are located?

  Hamburg Township does not determine where property lines are, but we may be able to help you using other documents on record. Some places to check for documents that may help with this is the Livingston County Register of Deeds office, LARA Subdivision Plat Maps if your lot is platted, or the Zoning Department files if a survey or permit was previously filed at our office. 

I would like to remove trees on my property, what do I need to know? 
  No permit is required from the Township, unless you will be grading, filling, or removing 50 cubic yards of soil on the property. No live tree removal is permitted in the Natural Rivers district. If tree stumps will be removed a Soil Erosion permit may be required from Livingston County Drain Commission: (517)-546-0400.

Is my property in a Floodplain?
  To view the FEMA floodplain maps for your property Click Here. - Type in your full address to view your property on an interactive map. Contact us to find out what it means to be in a floodplain: (810)-231-1000 Ext. 230. 

How can I get an address assigned for my property?
  No addresses are assigned to vacant lots. You will be issued an address for a new home or business when the Land Use Permit has been issued for a new home/business building. Click Here to find the address assignment/change form.

What can I do about my neighbors lot with junk cars, trash, blight, unsafe buildings, no permits, etc.?
  We are complaint based. Please contact our Code Enforcement Officer at (810)-231-1000 Ext. 220, or fill out this form and return to the Zoning Department: Ordinance Violation Complaint Form

Can I have chickens on my property, or other animals, and what do I need to know about raising them?
  Article 7, Section 7.7.1. describes requirements for keeping or raising animals on residential zoned properties. Click Here for those requirements. 

A Land Use Permit is required for the following:
The erection of a new accessory structure or the alteration of an existing structure. (Including, but not limited to: House, Garage, Shed, Deck, Fence, Interior Remodel, Patio, Gazebo, Porch, Pool, Generator, etc.)
*Liv. Co. Building Dept. Building Permit is almost always also required in addition to the Land Use Permit*
  • The excavation, alteration or filling of land.
  • The new use or change in use of land or an existing building.
  • Window, Door, Siding, Roof, and Gutter work require a $15 Land Use Permit Waiver.
Please refer to the Zoning Ordinance for additional Information. 
  • A Land Use Permit Application Form with contact information filled out including: Proof of Ownership and Tax Identification Number.
  • Three(3) copies of a site plan of your property showing the location of all existing structures, septic tank and fields, well, grinder pump, sewer lines, easements, alleys, roads and water. It is also necessary to note the dimensions of structures from property lines and in between structures. Note: We rely on property owners in providing us with where their property lines are located. If you do not know exactly where your property lines are please considered obtaining a boundary survey including location of structures on the lot. Here is a list of area surveyors.
  • Three(3) copies of construction plans: For each project plans must contain front, side and rear elevations, floor plan, foundation plan, window and door placement, cross sections as required by code, electrical, plumbing and heating/air-conditioning detailing. For re-roofing, plumbing or electrical, a description of work and list of materials is usually sufficient.
  • Notarized letter of permission from homeowner or copy of signed contract between contractor and the homeowner.  Feel free to use this form if necessary: Homeowner Letter of Authorization Form.
  • The Zoning Administrator may, at their discretion, require further documentation if deemed necessary. -Such as the following: If you are in a designated floodplain area or on the Huron River, you will/may be required to submit a copy of your M-EGLE (Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy) permit, and/or an Elevation Certificate that reflect the elevations on your construction plans. If you are required to submit and Elevation Certificate at construction, you will also need to provide a completed Elevation Certificate at foundation and final construction. 
After you turn in all your paperwork, it will be processed through the appropriate departments, and then our inspector will go out to do a site inspection. You do not need to be home for us to do our inspection. Once the inspection is completed and your project plans are ready for you to pick up the Planning & Zoning Department will call you. (View Fee Schedule). We will give you back two (2) copies of your site plans and construction plans that have been approved (red stamped) by us. You will then take your plans and a copy of your Land Use Permit to Livingston County Building Department in Howell, and they will guide you through the Building Permit process. At this point you will work with Livingston County Building and Health Departments until you are finished with your project. The actual building inspections required under the state construction building codes are completed by the Livingston County Building Department. NO WORK CAN BE STARTED UNTIL YOU HAVE A BUILDING PERMIT FROM LIVINGSTON COUNTY. 

STAKING REQUIREMENTS – upon issuing a Land Use Permit:
  • Lot corners/sides must be clearly staked/marked.
  • Lot lines must be marked with string for accurate lot line identification (when applicable).
  • Project corners must be clearly staked and the building perimeter footprint marked with string.
  • Lot must be clearly identified with a sign (i.e. “Lot 49” or “Smith’s Lot”). If an address is issued, address must be visible from the road.
  • If your project is not clearly identifiable, Land Use Permit approval can be delayed and a $25 re-inspection fee maybe charged.
When you are finished with your project, check your Land Use Permit under "Requirements For Final Zoning Compliance." Any items that are checked off need to be completed before you call us for your final inspection. In the event that you are unable to comply with one or more of the items (for example: say that your Land Use Permit requires 2 trees to be planted, and it's winter time), you may be able to make arrangements with the Planning & Zoning Administrator to place a bond for the trees, so that you could then get your final inspection from us. The Livingston County Building Department will not issue a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) without our final inspection approval. 

After you have taken care of any outstanding compliance items, you should call us and request a re-inspection. After the inspector approves it, your bond money will be returned to you. NOTE: A reinspection fee of $25.00 will be added to the cost of the bond, and must be paid by separate check. - Thank you.

Planning and zoning staff may be contacted by phone at (810) 231-1000, ext. 230 or by email:
Amy Steffens, AICP, Planning and Zoning Administrator   
Brittany Stein, Zoning Coordinator
Ted Michowski,  Code Enforcement Officer 
Scott Pacheco, AICP, Township Planner 

Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 am to 5 pm

You may mail Land Use Permit Applications to the following address (via USPS):
Hamburg Township 
 Attn: Zoning Department
P.O. Box 157 
Hamburg, Michigan 48139

Updated:  April 12, 2021