Healthy Living - June 2018
Blood Pressure Checks -
Checks will be available on Thursday, June 21, 2018 from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at the Center.
Annie from Accredited Caring Hearts will be in to perform Blood Pressure checks so a huge thank you goes to them for providing us with this service!!
Yoga Benefits for Seniors
Are you looking to maintain or even improve your quality of life? Consider joining our vibrant yoga community on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings for a 60 minute practice, and watch the benefits accrue.
- Yoga Improves Respiration
- Breathing is the foundation vitality. We regularly practice breathing exercises to improve concentration, reduce stress and increase respiratory function
- Yoga Improves Flexibility and Joint Health
- Our movements are low impact, toning muscles that support our joints while at the same time increasing your range of motion
- Yoga Improves Balance, Stability & Muscular Strength
- We focus on both balance and stability - reducing the likelihood of falls. By increasing muscular strength and the body's stability, a yoga practice can help reduce recovery time in case a fall occurs
- Yoga Reduces Anxiety
- We strive for a peaceful mind throughout our practice. An added bonus: reducing anxiety reduces inflammation in the body
- Yoga Reduces High Blood Pressure
- Recent studies prove yoga lowers the underlying causes of high blood pressure, which is a strong risk factor for heart attacks
- Yoga Improves Bone Health
- Yoga is a weight bearing exercise, so regular practice slows bone thinning and reduces the risk of osteoporosis
- Yoga Improves Mindfulness
- Spend some time tuning into your body and focusing your mind
- TUESDAYS at 9:30 am - with Lisa Weaver
- WEDNESDAYS at 10:00 am with Lisa Weaver
- CHAIR YOGA: worried that if you sat on the floor you wouldn't be able to get back up again?? Have no fear--we can practice yoga in a chair!! You will improve respiration, flexibility and joint health in just four sessions. Yoga is about more than twisting like a pretzel - come in and find out how yoga can improve your quality of life.
- When: Tuesdays
- Time: 11:00 am
- Fee: Free will donation for all Yoga classes (usually $5 or more is considered adequate)
No prior yoga experience needed! LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ALL!!
STROKE AND APHASIA SUFFERS
Just a short blurb about a drop-in facility you may not be aware of for the care of Stroke & Aphasia sufferers. The Aphasia Community Friendship Center is open on Fridays for those who suffer with either of these afflictions. It's located in the Health & Fitness Center at the Washtenaw Community College on Huron River Drive in Ann Arbor. For more information check out the information board in the hallway or go to their website: www.aphasiacenterMI.org
Janis from Miracle Ear will be at the center on Monday, June 25, 2018. No appointment is necessary; however, if you need a full hearing test we need prior notice so she can bring all her equipment. She will be here from 1:00 - 2:30 p.m.
Calendar and Newsletter
- View printable June 2018 Activity Calendar
- View printable June 2018 Newsletter
- View printable June 2018 Menu
The Walk Group meets on Mondays and Thursdays at 11:00 am for about 1/2 hour and we meet in the parking lot on Merrill Rd. just across from the Senior Center. Since we start right at 11:00 it is a good idea to get there a few minutes early so you don’t miss the group. You do not have to stay with the group but we like to start off together. The faster walkers go fast and we hang with the slower paced walkers. Please make sure your doctor approves of your walking as we walk about 1 1/2 miles and PLEASE PLEASE wear proper walking shoes so you do not hurt your feet! And remember to wear clothes appropriate for the weather especially as it gets warmer out. Please remember we do NOT walk if it's too hot or rainy out!!
See you out there!!
Acupuncture Join us as we learn more about Acupuncture! Ron Hough will be here on a weekly basis for those wishing to have acupuncture done. Acupuncture is Traditional Chinese Medicine that has been around hundreds of years and can help improve your general health, help you sleep better, increase energy, relieve stress and feel good naturally with lifelong effects.
Ron Hough is a Licensed Acupuncturist and earned his degree from Five Branches University in Santa Cruz, CA.
When: Thursdays, 10:00 - 12:00
Fee: $15 per session
Wear comfortable clothes (with elbows & knees accessible) & eat an hour before coming
St. Paul Lutheran - Daisy's Pantry
When/Where: Wednesdays - 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. - at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 7701 East M-36, Hamburg
St. Paul Lutheran Church sponsors a pantry for anyone who has emergency needs. Their Daisy Pantry will supply food for those in need. There are no questions asked or appointment needed, just show up. If you have any questions, call St. Paul Lutheran Church at 810-231-1033.
Gleaners has received a grant from the State of Michigan to provide fresh produce to our seniors. What that means to you is this: on the 3rd Thursday of the month Senior Nutrition will deliver a batch of fresh produce and will be available to you to take home. It could be apples and grapefruit or it could be potatoes and onions, just depends on what they were able to get that month. And we will not know what they're getting until it arrives here at the center.......just so I don't get a bunch of questions on what is coming in!! :) And yes, this is at no cost to you. Enjoy!!
You may have noticed a new item in the dining room.....................a produce cart. Say whaaaaat?? Yep. A produce cart.
We received a produce cart from the Livingston County Hunger Council who was awarded monies to help low income and vulnerable populations, such as seniors, have access to healthy food products such as fruits and vegetables. They plan to continue supplying the produce cart with fruits and vegetables from Gleaner weekly produce distributions or from the Hunger Councils local community garden network. At this writing, we have only received the initial produce they brought with the cart but I do expect to see more, I just do not know when! In the meantime, I have put tomatoes and cukes out from our gardens and several of you have brought in produce from your own gardens. Enjoy!!
Hamburg Senior Community Center
10407 Merrill Road
P.O. Box 157
Hamburg, MI 48139 USA
Phone: 1.810.231.1000 Ext. 225
Direct Dial: 1.810.222.1140
- Christine Hoskins
Senior Program Director
- Julie Eddings
- Carol Kolad
Updated June 1, 2018