- View Printable October 2019 Newsletter
- View Printable October 2019 Activity Calendar
- View Printable October 2019 Menu
- View Printable October 2019 Sack Lunch Menu
*** It has come to our attention that at least one of our seniors has received a phone call from the Publisher's Clearinghouse indicating they have won millions of dollars. In order to receive their winnings they are instructed to send tax monies to the IRS before they are allowed to receive their winnings. PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANYONE ANY MONIES TO RECEIVE ANY WINNINGS!!! If you really are a winner you will receive a certified/registered mail indicating such and you will NOT receive a phone call! Please do NOT fall for this scam!!***
Greetings From Julie...
Happy October and happy Halloween !! The months are sure flying by! I'm sure this month ill be no exception. My daughter calls October the spooky season and this month will sure live up to its' name!! this is the month that my youngest daughter is officially on the road!! By herself!! Heaven help me!! Now if you're ready for a good scare, ask Mary Slagle how many days there are until Christmas. She can show the countdown on her phone! :) Speaking of Christmas, the Dove Tree from Livingston Women's Club will be here around the first of November and the Kiwanis tickets will go on sale November 1st!!
I'd like to give out my heartfelt thanks to all of the wonderful volunteers who donated their time, skills and brute strength to make our New & Used Sale such a big success., I don't have final figures as of yet, but I'm sure we did great!** **Update! Our totals for the New & Used Sale so far is $1855!! As compared to 2018 of $1120 and 2017 of $941. Awesome!! This center has such an amazing group of volunteers. I know Chris, Carol, Linda and I feel very blessed and fortunate to be able to work with all of you. You all impress me everyday!! Will you be ready to do it again in November?? :)
It's going to be a whirlwind of a month! We have a lot of events happening. We have a stress seminar, a fall prevention class and the Kitchen Band will be here for a sing-a-long. We have all the bus outings to lunch, the movies, the shopping trip, the Jiffy Factory and a special lunch trip to Brookdale Senior Living. The health department will be here for a focus group with a chance to win a Meijer gift card and we will have a presentation on Elder Justice. Phew!! :) There's more information on each program in the newsletter.
Don't forget that this month is our New & Used Sale on Saturday, September 21 from 9:00 - 2:00! We will be closed on Friday, September 20 for set up. If anyone has a great place to put out a sign to advertise for the Sale --- I sure would appreciate it!!!
Stay tuned next month for the Flu shots, the Holiday Bazaar and Beltone Hearing will be hosting a presentation on your hearing and how it impacts your life.
Have a great month!!
--Julie Eddings, Senior Program Director
*** Here is some more detailed information regarding the Transportation Service which has just started at the Senior Center. The Hamburg Township Senior Center/LETS Bus Program is easy and fun to use! Follow the simple steps and LETS will do the driving:
1) If you wish to be picked up at your home on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday (between 9 and 10 am), you must make a reservation through the Hamburg Senior Center by Wednesday the week before. You don't need to go on any day trips but can enjoy the activities at the center all day long. If you would like to buy lunch at the center (for $), you must to call the center the day before to add your name to the lunch list. You are also welcome to bring in your own bag lunch. The fee to be picked up and or dropped off at your home is $1 each way.
2) You may take the bus into Brighton or Howell without signing up ahead of time (first come basis until the bus is full ) for only $1 round trip! Specific locations for drop offs change daily and are based on the passengers requests that day. If you are taking the bus for a medical appointment, it is suggested that you call the center ahead of time to secure a seat and that destination.
3) Take a brochure from the pocket on this board so that you will have the bus driver's phone number. The driver will specify a pick up time for you as you are dropped off at the various locations of your choosing in Brighton and Howell.
4) Plan a luncheon, a movie date or shopping trip with friends and enjoy their company while LETS does the driving! A regular Friday Lunch Bunch group is being considered with new restaurants being chosen for each week. Ask for more information in the office or look for sign up sheets in the lobby.
This program is being piloted in Hamburg Township and will only be continued if we use the service! You don't have to be a member of the Senior Center to ride with LETS, so encourage other seniors in your neighbors to call the Senior Center for a pick up or catch the bus at the Senior Center and ride to Brighton or Howell as well.
Hamburg Senior Community Center
10407 Merrill Road
P.O. Box 157
Hamburg, MI 48139 USA
Phone: 1.810.231.1000 Ext. 225
Direct Dial: 1.810.222.1142 or 810.222.1140
- Julie Eddings
Senior Program Director
- Christine Hoskins
- Carol Kolad & Linda Bauby
Updated October 9, 2019