- View Printable August 2019 Newsletter
- View Printable August 2019 Activity Calendar
- View Printable August 2019 Menu
*** It has come to our attention that at least one of our seniors has received a phone call from the Publisher's Clearinghouse indicating they have won millions of dollars. In order to receive their winnings they are instructed to send tax monies to the IRS before they are allowed to receive their winnings. PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANYONE ANY MONIES TO RECEIVE ANY WINNINGS!!! If you really are a winner you will receive a certified/registered mail indicating such and you will NOT receive a phone call! Please do NOT fall for this scam!!***
Greetings From Julie...
Happy August! I can't believe how fast the summer is flying by! In a few short weeks my kids will be back at school and we will be back in the routine of school and sports. I am promising myself that I will enjoy every minute of it. This is my son's last year of high school and I want to savor all of the moments before he heads off to college and only comes home when he needs his laundry done!! :)
I want to say a BIG thank you to everyone who has taken the Senior Center Bus!! We've had a lot of fun shopping and eating!! :) If you haven't had a chance to ride it yet, I encourage everyone to give it a try. There's nothing like door to door service!! Speaking of door to door service, John and Joy Judd are starting a monthly "lunch bunch!" This month the bus will be heading off to Gourmet Gardens on Friday, August 16. We will also be having a monthly raffle for a gift card. Every time you ride the bus you will receive a raffle ticket. At the end of the month we will draw on lucky winner! The more you ride - the more chances to win!! :) Also this month you can take the bus to Senior Celebration Day on Friday, August 2. No worries about parking a Brighton High School and you have door to door service! The bus leaves the Senior Center at 8:30 am.
As usual, we have a lot happening this month. We have a Hawaiian Luau Pot Luck on Friday, August 9 - come dressed in your Hawaiian Best!! We also have two important seminars this month. The Attorney General's Office will be here on Friday, August 16 for an Investment Scams Seminar. Estate Information Services will be here on Thursday, August 22 for a Comprehensive Estate Planning Workshop. We will also be getting ready for the New & Used Sale. If you'd like to help out please let us know in the office! We are now accepting your gently used household items for the sale.
Stay tuned next month for the New & Used Sale, the Kitchen Band Sing-a-Long, a food storage class Joannee DeBruhl and a cooking class with Pat!!
Have a great month!!
--Julie Eddings, Senior Program Director
*** Here is some more detailed information regarding the Transportation Service which has just started at the Senior Center. The Hamburg Township Senior Center/LETS Bus Program is easy and fun to use! Follow the simple steps and LETS will do the driving:
1) If you wish to be picked up at your home on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday (between 9 and 10 am), you must make a reservation through the Hamburg Senior Center by Wednesday the week before. You don't need to go on any day trips but can enjoy the activities at the center all day long. If you would like to buy lunch at the center (for $), you must to call the center the day before to add your name to the lunch list. You are also welcome to bring in your own bag lunch. The fee to be picked up and or dropped off at your home is $1 each way.
2) You may take the bus into Brighton or Howell without signing up ahead of time (first come basis until the bus is full ) for only $1 round trip! Specific locations for drop offs change daily and are based on the passengers requests that day. If you are taking the bus for a medical appointment, it is suggested that you call the center ahead of time to secure a seat and that destination.
3) Take a brochure from the pocket on this board so that you will have the bus driver's phone number. The driver will specify a pick up time for you as you are dropped off at the various locations of your choosing in Brighton and Howell.
4) Plan a luncheon, a movie date or shopping trip with friends and enjoy their company while LETS does the driving! A regular Friday Lunch Bunch group is being considered with new restaurants being chosen for each week. Ask for more information in the office or look for sign up sheets in the lobby.
This program is being piloted in Hamburg Township and will only be continued if we use the service! You don't have to be a member of the Senior Center to ride with LETS, so encourage other seniors in your neighbors to call the Senior Center for a pick up or catch the bus at the Senior Center and ride to Brighton or Howell as well.
Hamburg Senior Community Center
10407 Merrill Road
P.O. Box 157
Hamburg, MI 48139 USA
Phone: 1.810.231.1000 Ext. 225
Direct Dial: 1.810.222.1142 or 810.222.1140
- Julie Eddings
Senior Program Director
- Christine Hoskins
- Carol Kolad & Linda Bauby
Updated August 8, 2019