COMMUNITY BULLETIN BOARD
Updated June 20, 2018
- WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20TH: CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUP - DEMENTIA SPECIFIC:The Caregiver Support Group meets at Be Our Guest Adult Day Center (a program of Livingston Cty. Catholic Charities), 2020 E. Grand River #103, Howell on the 3rd Wednesday of each month from 4:30p – 6:00p. Join us to learn the latest techniques to care and support your loved one suffering with dementia and related diseases as well as tips on how to care for yourself and grow your support system. With prior notice, they also offer care for your loved one while you attend. Please call Suzi or Katie at 517-546-9910 for information or to notify staff your loved one will be in attendance.
- JUNE 22ND-24TH: MICHIGAN CHALLENGE BALLOONFEST: The 34th annual Michigan Challenge Balloonfest at the Howell High School complex is June 22nd-24th. Enjoy five scheduled balloon launches, balloon glow, fireworks, carnival and family attractions and entertainment. Visit event website for more details
- SATURDAY, JUNE 23RD: FATHRS DAY TREASURE HUNT WITH HEAVENER CANOE RENTAL:Your adventure begins at Heavner Canoe Rental on Proud Lake where you and your family will travel by land and sea looking for marked locations using your treasure map. You will visit each marked location along the river to snatch a gold coin from the pirate's bucket. Once you've collected a coin from each location you will return to Heavner to turn in your booty and collect your treasure bag of goodies. *To enter the State Recreation Area you need to have a Recreation Passport or purchase one. **Pre-registration is required by June 19th. At the door registration will not be accepted for this event. Register by visiting our website - brightoncommunityed.com or calling the office at 810-299-4130.
- SATURDAY, JUNE 23, 2018 - HARDY CHICKEN BBQ: The Annual Chicken BBQ is Sat. June 23rd from 4:30-7pm at Hardy United Methodist Church-6510 E. Highland Rd. Howell. Tickets are $10 for adults $5 for children under 12. 1/2 chicken, potato salad, roll, baked beans, beverage and pie is being served. Advanced tickets are recommended. For tickets, call 517-546-1212.
- SUNDAY, JUNE 24TH, 2018 - BLOOD DRIVE AT ST. MARY MAGDALEN CHURCH: Red Cross Blood Drive from 9:30am-3:15pm on Sunday, June 24th at St. Mary Magdalen church, on 2201 S. Old US 23, between Hilton and Hyne Roads. For more information visit the website.
- THURSDAY, JUNE 28, 2018 - SLOPPY JOE, PULLED PORK & FLOATS AT AMERICAN LEGION RIDERS - CHAPTER #419: SLOPPY JOE, PULLED PORK & FLOATS, sponsored by the American Legion Riders-Chapter #419, will be held Thursday, June 28, 2018 from 5 pm to 7:30 pm at the Pinckney American Legion post home, 9807 Whitewood Rd., Pinckney. Sloppy joes are $2.00 each, pulled pork sandwiches are $3.50 each, floats are $1.25 each. For more information call: Post home 734-878-9522 or Karl at 734-476-6534.
- FRIDAY, JUNE 29TH: LCWCC FISH FRY: The Livingston County Wildlife and Conservation Club will host an all you can eat fish fry on June 29th at the club on M-36 in Whitmore Lake. Serving from 5-8pm, choose ber batter, lemon pepper, Cajun, baked & smelt, hush puppies and mac & cheese. Call 810-231-1811.
- FRIDAY,JUNE 29TH, 2018: Livingston Fine Art Association The Livingston Fine Art Association June Meeting will be held June 29th, at the First Presbyterian Church, Howell. Doors open at 6:30pm, meeting begins at 7pm. Use the rear entrance under the green canopy. Visit the website for more info.
- SUNDAY, JULY 1, 2018: WARBIRDS OF GLORY MUSEUM DISPLAY AT BRIGHTON AIRPORT: Warbirds of Glory Museum Display is at the Tanger Mall Plaza on July 1st. View a restored WWII B-25 bombardier glass nose. The museum staff will be available to share the story of the recovery and restoration of the Sandbar Mitchell aircraft. Warbirds of Glory Museum is a local non-profit organization preserving history to honor those who fought for our country. The Museum is located at the Brighton Airport, and tours are available by appointment.
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 4, 2018: 4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS AND PARADE IN FOWLERVILLE: Many activities are planned on July 4th in Fowlerville. The First Baptist Church will have free activities from 3-6pm, enjoy a car show, children's games and a bounce house. The parade is at 7pm. Fowlerville United Brethren Church will have a family style BBQ, children's games and live entertainment at 8pm. Fireworks at dusk. Viewing areas are Community Park and the Fowlerville Fairgrounds.
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 4, 2018: PANCAKE BREAKFAST IN BRIGHTON:Brighton Lions will host an “All you can eat, Pancake Breakfast”, Wednesday, July 4th, at their Community Den, downtown Brighton, Main Street at the Railroad Tracks, 7:30am-10:30am. Join them before the parade. Breakfast will include pancakes, sausage, and drink. Children under 12: $3, adults: $5, Seniors: $4.
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 4, 2018: PARADE IN BRIGHTON: The Brighton Area Fire Authority & The Livingston Sunrise Rotary Club's Brighton Independence Day Parade is Wednesday, July 4th. The parade will begin at 10am sharp and begins at Main and Church Streets and ends at Brighton High School. The theme of the 2018 parade is “Superhero For A Day”. Shuttles will be available between the BECC building and parking at the high school. https://www.facebook.com/Brighton4thofJuly/
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 4, 2018: HUNGRY DUCK RUN IN BRIGHTON: 12th Annual 5k Fun Run and Half Marathon taking place in downtown Brighton. The mission of the Hungry Duck Run is to raise awareness and funding to fight hunger in Livingston County. They will start and finish in downtown Brighton on St. Paul just east of Grand River. More information at HungryDuckRun.com or on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/events/215759705820160/
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 4,2018 - BBQ CHICKEN DINNER AMERICAN SPIRIT CENTER:The American Spirit Center will be hosting a BBQ chicken dinner on July 4th. Dinner is of half chicken, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, corn on the cob. Adults are $11, seniors $10, kids hot dog meal IS $5. Serving from 11-3pm, live music, 50/50 drawings, all proceeds go to veterans. Located at 10590 Grand River in Brighton. For more info call 810-423-3564 or 810-599-2613.
- FRIDAY, JULY 6, 2018 - LCWCC CHICKEN, FISH AND RIBS DINNER: An all you can eat, Chicken, Fish and Ribs Dinner will be held on July 6th at the Livingston County Wildlife and Conservation Club. Serving from 5pm-8pm, the menu includes: BBQ ribs BBQ chicken, oven fried chicken & fish. Located at 6060 E. M-36, Whitmore Lake. Call 810-231-1811 for details.
- TUESDAY, JULY 10, 2018 - EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES FOR ALZHEIMER'S AND DEMENTIAS: An education program by the Alzheimer’s Association. Communication is more than just talking and listening – it’s also about sending and receiving messages through attitude, tone of voice, facial expressions and body language. Join them to explore how communication takes place when someone has Alzheimer’s, learn to decode the verbal and behavioral messages delivered by someone with dementia, and identify strategies to help you connect and communicate at each stage of the disease. The location is Be Our Guest Adult Day Program, 2020 East Grand River Suite 103, Howell MI 48843 on Tuesday, July 10, 4:30-5:30PM. Advanced registration is required. Please call the Alzheimer's Association at 800.272.3900 or Be Our Guest Adult Day at 517-546-9910 to register.
- FRIDAY, JULY 13, 2018 - WARBIRDS OF GLORY MUSEUM DISPLAY AT TANGER CARES SUITE: Warbirds of Glory Museum Display at the Tanger Cares Suite on July 13th from 11am-5pm. View/explore exciting displays and learn more about the world of aviation. Warbirds of Glory Museum is a local non-profit organization preserving history to honor those who fought for our country. A vital part of the museum is Kittyhawk Academy, a Youth Mentorship Program that introduces youth to aviation, teamwork and trade skills while helping restore the WWII B-25 Bomber Sandbar Mitchell. The Museum is located at the Brighton Airport, and tours are available by appointment.
- FRIDAY, JULY 13, 2018 - BRIGHTON LIONS SPAGHETTI/CONEY DOG DINNER:Brighton Lions will host an “All you can eat”, Spaghetti Dinner and Coney Dog Dinner, Friday July 13, 2018, at their Community Den, downtown Brighton, Main Street at the Railroad Tracks, 4pm-7pm. All proceeds will benefit the Brighton Lions Club and Community Den, with their many local, state, and international projects.
- SATURDAY, JULY 14, 2018 - LACASA 20TH ANNIVERSARY GARDEN TOUR WEEKEND: Visit all 10 of this year’s stops to see beautiful gardens in a variety of styles. Celebrating 20 years of helping survivors bloom, this year’s tour features artwork from LACASA’s younger clients, displayed at LACASA Collection, as well as a variety of other special features throughout the weekend. Gardens are open 9am-4pm July 14th & 15th. Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 at garden entrances. Visit website for details. https://lacasacenter.org/
- MONDAY, JULY 16, 2018 - FOSTER PARENT INFORMATIONAL MEETING: Livingston County Catholic Charities (LCCC) is holding an informational meeting for persons interested in learning more about foster care. 3rd Monday of each month, 5pm–7pm, LCCC, 2020 E. Grand River #101, Howell. To RSVP call Amanda today to reserve your spot at 517-545-5944. LCCC is seeking to increase the number of available foster homes in Livingston County to serve the growing number of children entering foster care. Currently there are not enough local homes to accommodate abused and/or neglected children to keep them close to their home of origin in order to maintain stability in their lives.
- MONDAY, JULY 16, 2018 - LIVINGSTON PARENT SUPPORT GROUP:Arc of Livingston Parent Support Group is a chance to get together with other parents of children or adults with disabilities to network, get and give support. Meetings are held on the third Monday of the month and will include presentations and/or discussions on topics of interest to parents. Meetings are held at The Well Church 2376 Genoa Business Park Drive in Brighton, 6:30pm-8pm. http://www.arclivingston.org/services/support/parent-support-group-3/
- SATURDAY, JULY 21, 2018 - BRIGHTON COMMUNITY ED GARAGE SALE: Join Brighton Community Ed for the Community's Largest Garage Sale from 8am-1pm at Maltby Intermediate School. Bring your own tables, chairs and tents. Go to brightoncommunityed.com for 2018 Garage Sale Registration Form.
- FRIDAY, AUGUST 3, 2018 - CHARITY GOLF OUTING FOR BOUNTIFUL HARVEST: Bountiful Harvest is proud to present their 2nd annual golf outing. It will be held at the Golf Club at Mt. Brighton. Lots of fun games and events all to raise money for Bountiful Harvest Food Pantry. Register online or contact Patty Kozar at firstname.lastname@example.org or 810-599-7029. http://www.bountifulharvest-mi.org/
- SUNDAY, AUGUST 5, 2018: LOVE INC LE CONCOURS DE LIVINGSTON: Love INC Le Concours de Livingston is August 5th, at Waldenwoods Resort and Conference Center in Howell from 2pm-6pm. Live music, heavy appetizers, adult beverages, Live and Silent Auction. $50 a person. Register online or contact Patty Kozar at email@example.com or 810-599-7029. http://www.livingstonloveinc.org/
Updated June 20, 2018