Hamburg Township was formed by an act of the Legislative Council of the Territory of Michigan on March 26, 1835. As originally formed, Hamburg Township was 72 square miles and included the current Township of Genoa. The State of Michigan was admitted to the Union on January 26, 1837 and on March 11, 1837, an act of the state legislature set off Genoa Township leaving Hamburg Township with its present 36 square mile boundaries. Since Livingston County government was not organized until 1836, the township was at originally a part of Washtenaw County.
A meeting was held prior to the organization of the township with the purpose of selecting a name for the new township. Present at the meeting were 19 persons 8 of whom wished to call it Steuben and 8 who wished to call it Lenox. The remaining three who were Germans, the Messrs. Grisson, were not initially allowed to vote. After not being able to break the deadlock on the name, it was finally decided to give the Messrs. Grisson the privilege of naming the township. They chose the name of their native city: Hamburg. As such, the new township was organized as Hamburg Township. The first township meeting was held on April 20, 1835 where the first township officials were selected.
Updated June 5, 2017