Membership & Participation - About Us
Hamburg Senior Community Center
Participation and Membership
Membership in the Hamburg Township Senior Community Center is open to all area persons 55 years of age and older. (Spouses younger than 55 are also welcome.) Township of Hamburg residency is NOT required for membership and visitors from other counties, states and countries are welcome to participate when they are in the area.
Members' addresses and phone numbers are not given out and our membership list is not shared with businesses or with political candidates, nor is it sold. All members' privacy is protected.
Membership entitles you to participate in all educational, social/recreational, volunteer and other regularly scheduled activities and special events.
Members are asked to fill out a participant information form which includes emergency health information when they join. They are also required to sign a travel, consent, and release form.
The Hamburg Township Senior Program offers activities and services to persons who have reached the age of 55 (and older) without regard to race, creed, income or ethnic background. Complaints of discrimination may be filed with the State Office of Services on the Aging; the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Office of Civil Rights; or the Michigan Department of Civil Rights.
The bi-monthly Senior Advisory Board Meeting was held at the Senior Center at 10:00am on Wednesday, July 8, 2009. Chuck Menzies was elected as Chair, Isabelle Collins was elected as Vice-Chair and Ann Nabb was elected as Secretary. It was voted to approve a dues increase to $5.00 per person per year beginning January 2010 with dues being free to all members age 90 and over. It was also voted to discontinue the practice of free dues to our volunteers. Minutes are available in the office for all to read as they become available.
Persons attending the Center are asked to sign in each time they come to the Center. Persons attending for the first time are asked to give their address and phone number. This information is required for reporting purposes.
Members are asked to sign up in advance for classes, activities and parties. Your advance registration helps to determine needs. In the case of classes, it helps instructors with planning for handouts, etc.
A clean facility is attractive to everyone. Please help the staff to maintain the building in good condition. There is no janitor on staff. The building is cleaned on a scheduled basis by a professional cleaning service after evening activities. Please notify a staff person of accidental spills, etc. that need to be attended to.
Parking is provided at the Center. Please honor those spaces reserved for the handicapped. Overnight parking for members on extended trips is permitted. Staff will notify the Hamburg Township Police Department of those cases
The Hamburg Township Senior Community Center is a public building and as such no smoking is allowed. Smoking is allowed outdoors only and those doing so are asked to use care and caution and be respectful of the outdoor facilities.
Cable Access T.V.
Hamburg Township has its own cable T.V. channel 18. A senior activities and events calendar is aired. Special Senior programming is scheduled by the Program Director
Volunteers, members and guests of the Hamburg Township Senior Community Center are asked to observe the following rules which are designed to
- Maintain the respect of every individual involved in the Center activities.
- Create a pleasant atmosphere
- Provide an environment for good fellowship
All members, volunteers and guests must:
- Sign the sign-in book each time they visit the Center
- Act and speak in a manner which is respectful of others
- Not smoke within the Township buildings.
- Not use alcohol on the premises
- Adhere to the policies and procedures of the Center
- Not solicit inside the building or on the grounds except with prior approval from the Senior Program Director
- Complaints should be discussed verbally with the Senior Program Director. If a satisfactory resolution is not achieved, a complaint should be made in writing and presented to the Senior Program Director. Written complaints will be forwarded and addressed at the monthly Advisory Board meeting. Persons making complaints will receive a written response from the Chairperson of the Board. Should the person making the complaint not be satisfied with the response, he/she may appeal to the Township Board.
Bad Weather Closings
Any day the Hamburg Township Offices are closed due to inclement weather, the Center will also be closed. If unsure call the Center line (810) 231-1000 ext. 225 for a recorded message.
Lunches will not be provided by Paragon in the event that three or more public schools in Livingston County are closed (namely - Brighton, Howell, Fowlerville and Pinckney). Announcements of closings will be made on WHMI radio station 93.5.
Occasionally an individual class or activity may be cancelled even if the Township offices are open - when that happens, persons registered for that class or activity will be called.
The Hamburg Township Senior Community Center is closed for the following holidays:
- New Year's Eve (Afternoon)
- January 1 (New Year's Day)
- Good Friday Afternoon
- Memorial Day (Observed)
- July 4
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve (Afternoon)
- Christmas Day