SWIRL1   the hamburg township sewer system

Utilities Home |Township Sewer System | Sewer GIS Map | Sewer Emergencies| Sewer Connection Applications | Sewer Connection Ordinance 69F | Ordinance 69F - Administrative Policies & Procedures for Sewer Connections | Grinder Pumps | Grinder Pump Alarms | Sewer Contractors | Roads and Road Maintenance | Municipal Utilities Committee | Livingston Community Water Authority | Portage-Base Lakes Sewer Authority

Last Updated
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Hamburg Township
Web Questions? E-mail: brichardson@hamburg.mi.us.


Road Maintenance/Improvement General Services

Hamburg Township, through the creation of Special Assessment Districts (S.A.D.s), provides a wide range of services not offered by many other townships. The Township provides maintenance services for a number of private roads as well as provides assistance for public road improvement projects. The following are an example of the services offered through the Township:

  • Snow plowing
  • Sanding and/or Salting of icy roadways
  • Gravel road grading
  • Gravel installation
  • Pothole patching
  • Asphalt patching
  • Dust control
  • Coordinate with Livingston County Road Commission on public road paving projects


The following roads are the ONLY ROADS maintained by Hamburg Township because they are the only roads having a Special Assessment District (S.A.D.):

  • Appletree Lane
  • Campbell Drive
  • Community Drive
  • Crystal Drive/Portions of Crystal Beach Subdivision
  • Downing Drive
  • Edgelake-Burton Drives
  • Island Shore-Schlenker Drives
  • Midland-Strawberry Drives
  • Norene-Peary Drives
  • Riverside-Century-Lagoon -Radial Drives
  • Rustic-Lakepoint Drives
  • Scott Drive
  • Winans Drive





Interstate Roads Part of the U.S. Interstate Roadway System I-96 and US-23 Outside Hamburg Twp. Federal Hwy. Administation-DOT
Michigan State Roads Part of the Michigan State Roadway System M-36 Traverses Hamburg Twp. State of Michigan-MDOT
Livingston County Roads Part of the Livingston County Roadway System Click here for County Road List Traverse Hamburg Twp. Livingston County Road Commission Maintains only roads listed as "public" roads
Hamburg Township Private Roads Roads Privately Constructed and Maintained Click here for County Road List-Only roads listed as "private" are privately maintained Hamburg Twp. Maintained by property owners along the road or through private road agreements; or by homeowners' associations; or via Special Assessment Districts by private contractors coordinated through Hamburg Township


Hamburg Township residents sometimes look at the road surface quality and maintenance issues in our area and ask the question "Why are Livingston County area roads in such a mess?" The definition of what constitutes "such a mess" is frequently debated and its varied possible causes are a subject of endless speculation.  But one thing is presently quite clear - Livingston County does not receive a "fair share" of state level road funding revenues based on today's needs.

A recent news article on WHMI - 93.5 FM, a local radio station, summarized the situation as follows:


3/6/08 - Road funding is tight and depending on how you look at it, Livingston County is at the bottom of the barrel. Road funding comes from the federal government, vehicle registration fees and the gas tax. The money is collected by the state and then distributed by formula based on different criteria. That formula is more than 50 years old. A study from the Citizen’s Research Council of Michigan concluded based on that formula, areas with high traffic are getting ripped off. Managing Director of the Livingston County Road Commission Mike Craine tells WHMI this is their 3rd year of decreased funding and cuts are coming but hope springs eternal for a change. However, as a practical matter he says we’re in a state that doesn’t want to look at tax increases. State Senator Valde Garcia of Marion Township says if you look at per capita spending on roads, then Livingston County is the lowest but there are other ways of looking at it. He adds that the legislature attempted to change the formula several years ago but it was controversial and difficult. He says until there is enough consensus for change, the formula will remain as is. (JM) " - Source:  WHMI - 93.5 FM


Regarding Road Chloriding in Hamburg Township

In 1982, a 10-year, 1.0 mill road millage was levied by the Township for road improvement, road maintenance and dust abatement on public roads in Hamburg Township.

Over the past several years, the remaining road millage funds have been used to chloride and provide dust abatement for several of the public roads in Hamburg Township. As of Fall, 2006, however, there were no more road millage funds available to allow the Township to continue chloriding these public roads. The funds that remained in the road fund had been designated to finance our portion of the 2004 Maltby Road paving project.

However, at its meeting on October 16, 2007, the Hamburg Township Board of Trusteses passed a motion to approve the expenditure for the 1st application of brine for 2008 that is within the current fiscal year, and contemplate the next two applications from the 2008 Fiscal Year. (Board Agenda Item No. 01073.002 Gravel Road Dust Control)

All roads in Hamburg Township are by state law county roads (except for those roads designated as private). As such, please direct all concerns regarding the condition of your county roads to the Livingston County Road Commission at (517) 546-4250 or to Dennis Dolan, your County Commissioner, at 810-231-8167. Please be aware that the Livingston County Road Commission has notified Hamburg Township that the Road Commission has not found it possible to apply dust control to roads other than primary roads.


Hamburg Township Road Maintenance FAQ’s

1. We live on a private road and would like the Township to hire someone to provide road maintenance services. Can these costs be placed on our annual tax bill?

Yes. A majority of the property owners who will benefit from the service may petition the Township to create a special assessment district. If approved, the township will place the annual cost for these services on the individual tax statements. For more information please contact the Utilities Department at (810) 231-1000 Ext. 210.

PRIVATE ROAD S.A.D.S:   Road Grading & Dust Control FAQ’s

1. Our gravel road is a muddy mess; can you do something to stop this springtime situation?

We can try, but in the spring when the frost comes out of the road, what was once frozen and solid turns soft and unstable. It will remain this way until the moisture comes out of the road. The best cure for this is warm dry temperatures and a good wind. If we attempt to grade and haul gravel on top of this condition, it could turn into a bigger mess because the heavy equipment will disturb the saturated ground even deeper, making it take longer to dry out and firm up. Be assured we will respond to any request of this nature and do the best we can to repair it.

2. How many times does the Township grade the S.A.D. private gravel roads?

Roads are graded when the road conditions warrant grading. However, the number of annual road gradings is limited to the number of times petitioned and budgeted for through each of the individual Special Assessment Districts. The Township will grade and spread gravel on those roads needing repair. This is generally late spring after the roads dry out from the ground frost and in the fall prior to winter maintenance but will be done as needed throughout the summer months.

3. Dust Control is included in my S.A.D.; when does the Township spray for dust control?

During the months when dust is a problem the roads are graded prior to the application of 38% calcium chloride. The schedule for spraying is generally one week prior to or after Memorial Day, the 4 th of July, and Labor Day. The schedule may be slightly changed due to the weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances but will generally stick to the original schedule. Dust control will be completed either the same day or the day after the roads are graded. Gravel roads are not completely re-graded until they are ready for a new application of chloride during the summer months.

Asphalt Patching FAQ’s

1. My subdivision street needs to be resurfaced. Can the Township do something about this?

All public roads are managed through the Livingston County Road Commission. Property owners can petition the Township to create a special assessment district for the road improvement. If more than 50% of the property owners to be assessed sign a petition, the Board can approve the project. The Livingston County Road Commission will typically provide the engineering. The residents will be assessed for the road improvement cost. The Township will sell bonds to pay the project costs and the residents will reimburse the bond loan with interest over a pre-set time period through annual special assessment payments on the December tax bill. For more information regarding resurfacing of public subdivision streets please contact the Engineering Department of the Livingston County Road Commission at (517) 546-4250.

2. We live on a private road. Are we responsible for paving it?

Typically the property owners are responsible for paving of private roads. However, the Township can administer a Special Assessment District (S.A.D.) for residents who would like their private road paved. Any residents who would like their private roads paved should contact the Hamburg Township Utilities Department at (810) 231-1000 Ext. 210.

3. Asphalt maintenance is included in my S.A.D.; when are the potholes repaired?

During the winter months the Township is planning for summer projects. This process includes an on-site assessment of the paved private streets maintained through Special Assessment Districts (S.A.D.s). A list of repairs that need to be made is prepared and prioritized based on need and the availability of resources needed to complete the repairs. The purpose of the asphalt maintenance patch is to repair those areas where potholes are prevalent. This activity will extend the useful life of the pavement, but is not a total resurfacing of the street. If residents wish to resurface their streets a new Special Assessment District must be petitioned for by the property owners. If you notice a pothole that needs to be repaired please contact the Utilities Department at (810) 231-1000 Ext. 210.

Miscellaneous FAQ’s

1. Do I have to pay off my special assessment when I sell my home?

The Township does not require that special assessments be paid off when property is sold. That is a buyer-seller decision. The assessment is against the property, not the property owner. The assessment will continue with the parcel when ownership changes.

2. Does the Township have the name of a road maintenance contractor for hire?

Sorry but the Township does not engage in recommendation of road maintenance contractors for hire. We suggest residents seek references for repairs from neighbors and friends.






10405 Merrill Road
P.O. Box 157
Hamburg, MI 48139
Hours: Monday-Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Brittany K. Campbell
E-mail: bcampbell@hamburg.mi.us

Waste Water Treatment Plant

Physical Location:
6400 East M-36
Hamburg, MI 48139
Phone: 810-231-8160
Fax: 810-231-8160
Hamburg Township DPW
10405 Merrill Road
P.O. Box 157
Hamburg, MI. 48139
Phone: 810-231-1000
Fax: 810-231-4295
Hours: Monday - Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m