The Planning & Zoning Administration is responsible for the administration and enforcement of Hamburg Township's Zoning and land use ordinances.
The Administration processes applications for Site Plans, Zoning Board of Appeals, Land Divisions/Lot Splits, Addresses and Land Use Permits. We also provide information regarding flood plains.
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)
On April 21, 2015 Hamburg Township approved a zoning ordinance amendment that allows ADUs with discretionary approval of an Accessory Dwelling Unit permit on residentially zoned properties throughout the Township as long as the project can meet the new ADU regulations.
An ADU is defined as: A detached or attached, self-contained dwelling unit located on the same premises as an existing single family residence. The following are a list of the regulations that must be meet to allow an ADU on a residential property within the township:
- The principal dwelling or the accessory dwelling unit must be declared the main residence of the owner of the property.
- The accessory dwelling unit shall be a maximum of forty (40) percent of the gross floor area of the principle structure, not to exceed 1,000 square feet.
- The number of off-street parking spaces for the accessory dwelling unit shall be not less than one (1) and shall not block the required parking for the main residence. (li)
- The principal residence and the accessory dwelling unit shall share the same vehicular access to the property.
- The accessory dwelling unit shall have a maximum of two bedrooms.
- The occupancy of the accessory dwelling unit shall be no more than two (2) persons.
- Accessory dwelling units and the principal structure must be connected to sewer if available.
- Access to an attached accessory dwelling unit shall be limited to a common entrance foyer or exterior entrance to be located on the side or rear of the building.
- Detached accessory dwelling must be located closer to the principal residence on the subject site than the principal residence on an adjacent property.
- Accessory Dwelling Units shall not be permitted on lots within the Waterfront Residential and Natural Rivers Districts that abuts a waterbody or have access to a waterbody.
- All zoning district bulk and setback requirements shall apply to the site.
If you have any questions for the Planning and Zoning Department please feel free to e-mail the Planning and Zoning Director/ Administrator, Scott Pacheco, AICP at email@example.com or if the questions is regarding code enforcement e-mail Tim Chalk at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to your questions when we return to the office. If you would like you can also call and leave a message at 1-810-222-1156 or you may visit the office once we return.
- Monday: 8 am to 12 pm and 1 pm - to 5 pm
- Tuesday: 8 am to 12 pm and 1 pm - to 5 pm
- Wednesday: 8 am to 12 pm* and 1 pm - to 5 pm
- Thursday: 8 am to 12 pm* and 1 pm - to 5 pm
- Friday: 8 am to 12 pm* and 1 pm to 5 pm
The Planning & Zoning Administrator is Scott Pacheco, AICP, Zoning Cordinator is Amy Steffens and Timothy Chalk, the Code Enforcement Officer. Feel free to e-mail or call -- we will be happy to assist you!