Land Use Permitting Process
ALWAYS START AT HAMBURG TOWNSHIP!
If you go to Livingston County Building Department first, they will send you back to Hamburg Township Zoning Administration.
View the Hamburg Township Fee Schedule(pdf)
- A COMPLETED LAND USE PERMIT.
- Three (3) copies of your project construction plans. (If it is a commercial project, the plans must be architecturally sealed plans.) And 3 copies of your site (plot) plan, showing distances from your project to the property lines, well, septic or grinder pump location, structures on the property, etc. (see front page of the packet).
- Your project must be staked prior to our inspection - if not, a $25.00 reinspection fee will be added to the cost of your Land Use Permit. If the project is near the property lines and the location of the property line is unclear, a site plan stamped by a licensed surveyor may be required!
- If you are a contractor, or you are obtaining a permit on someone else's behalf, we require a notarized letter of permission or a copy of the contract that has been signed by both the owner and the contractor.
- If you are in a designated floodplain area, you will be required to submit a copy of your MDEQ (Michigan Department of Environmental Quality) permit, and an Elevation Certificate (either view on online or we have printed copies of the blank form available in the office) that reflect the elevations on your construction plans. You will also need to provide a completed Elevation Certificate at final construction.
- After you turn in all your paperwork, it will be processed through the appropriate departments, and then our inspector will go out to do a site inspection. You do not need to be home for us to do our inspection. Once the inspection is completed and your project plans are ready for you to pick up the Planinning & Zoning Administration will call you. View Fee Schedule. We will give you back two (2) copies of your site plans and construction plans that have been approved (red stamped) by us. You will then take your plans and a copy of your Land Use Permit to Livingston County Building Department in Howell, and they will guide you through the Building Permit process. At this point you will work with Livingston County Building and Health Departments until you are finished with your project.
- When you are finished with your project, check your Land Use Permit under "Requirements For Final Zoning Compliance." Any items that are checked off need to be completed before you call us for your final inspection. In the event that you are unable to comply with one or more of the items (for example: say that your Land Use Permit requires 2 trees to be planted, and it's wintertime), you may be able to make arrangements with the Planning & Zoning Administrator to place a bond for the trees, so that you could then get your finalinspection from us. The Livingston County Building Department will not issue a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) without our final inspection approval. View the Livingston County - Permit Guide Book for County Services
- After you have taken care of any outstanding compliance items, you should call us and request a re-inspection. After the inspector approves it, your bond moneywill be returned to you. NOTE: A reinspection fee of $25.00 will be added to the cost of the bond, and must be paid by separate check. - Thank you.