Grinder Pump Care
- View Printable Flyer - "Care And Use Of Your Grinder Pump" (.pdf)
- View Printable Flyer - "It's A Toilet - Not A Trash Can!" (.pdf)
NOTE: All homes and business establishments with sewer service are required by Hamburg Township Ordinance to use potassium chloride in water softeners. Sodium Chloride is prohibited.
The following items are the ONLY things that should be introduced into the sanitary sewer directly or through a kitchen waste disposal unit:
- Human waste
- Toilet paper only (no "flushable" wipes)
- Grey water from showers, sinks and tubs Laundry washing machine discharge
All other materials introduced and/or discharged into the sanitary sewer system will result in sewer repair costs and fines to the property owner pursuant to Ordinance No. 69F.
It is unlawful to have sump pumps, downspouts, and water softener backwash connected to the sanitary sewer system.
Damage caused to Township sewer equipment will be billed to the Property Owner. If the Township DPW provides repairs or services for Owner related operation and/or maintenance services, including but not limited to, building sewer pipe blockages, shut-off power breakers, flushing of non-sanitary solids (see list above for allowable items) or Owner caused damage to the public sewer system, the Owner shall be responsible for the full and prompt reimbursement to the Township for all Township DPW staff time, costs, labor, and/or materials incident to said operation and maintenance plus a 10% administrative fee.
HOMEOWNER MAINTENANCE: To reduce costs associated with repair or maintenance of your Grinder Pump, the following procedures should be followed:
- Keep the vent on the side of the Pump Access cover free of dirt, grass, leaves, snow or anything that would prevent air flow to the Pump.
- If any digging or landscaping is planned near the Grinder Pump or Control Box, the homeowner should call MISS DIG (1-800-482-7171) for location of underground utilities.
PERIODS OF DISUSE: If your home or building is to be left unoccupied for longer than two weeks, use the following procedure prior to leaving:
- Run clean water into the unit until the pump activates.
- Immediately turn off the water and allow the Grinder Pump to run until it shuts off automatically.
- Do not disconnect the electrical supply to the Grinder Pump.
POWER FAILURE: Your Grinder Pump cannot dispose of wastewater without electrical power. If electrical power service is interrupted, keep water usage to a minimum until power is restored.
PUMP FAILURE ALARM: Your Grinder Pump will produce an alarm signal in the event of a high water level in the basin.
If the red light goes on and/or the alarm sounds, proceed as follows:
- Stop using water (turn off washing machines, dishwashers, etc.)
- Silence buzzer by pushing the button on the bottom of the Control Panel
Save yourself some money and call us first if you have slow moving or blocked drains.
Contact the Hamburg Township Sewer Emergency Line at (810) 217-6085 to speak with a DPW Technician. Please have the address and a contact telephone number available when calling.
- Technicians are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please report all grinder alarms immediately; you do not have to wait for regular business hours.
If you have any questions regarding your Grinder Pump, please call the Hamburg Township Offices at (810) 231-1000 Ext. 210 during regular business hours.
What NOT To Put Through Your Waste Water Pipes/Grinder Pump
The following items should not be introduced into any sewer directly or through a kitchen waste disposal unit:
- Cat litter
- Aquarium gravel
- Plastic objects (toys, utensils, etc.)
- Seafood Shells
- Grease and/or Oil from Turkey Fryers, Deep Fryers, Skillets, etc.
- Diapers, socks, rags or cloth
- Sanitary napkins or tampons
- Candle Wax
Never introduce any of the following into any sewer:
- Flammable material
- Strong Chemicals
- Lubricating oil
- Paint Thinner