Sewer Alarms and Emergencies


exclamation point due amountSave yourself some money and call us first if you have slow moving or blocked drains.

Please call 1-810-217-6085 immediately for service. Technicians are on-call 24 hours a day so there is no need to wait until business hours to call.

Please provide the Technician with your name, address, and telephone number with a detailed explanation of the nature of the problem.

Silencing The Alarm/Turning Off The Red Light

If there is a problem with the grinder pump station it will alert the Control Panel mounted on the side of your home. The control panel is gray or black with a red light located on top. The alarm will make an audible noise and the red light will come on. In order to silence the alarm you may press the reset button on the bottom of the panel. However, this DOES NOT fix the problem with the grinder pump station or sewer connection.

Discontinue water use until a DPW Technician has responded to your emergency and can diagnose and repair the problem.


If you experience a sewer back-up you will need to contact the Township and follow the directions below if you wish to file a claim. Public Act 170 of 1964, as amended by Public Act 222 of 2001, requires that if you are seeking compensation for property damage, you must show that the sewage disposal system had a defect; than an appropriate government agency knew, or reasonably should have known, about the defect; that the defect was not remedied by the government agency in a reasonable time; that the property damage resulted because of the defect; and that you own and have related the true value of the damaged personal property.

You are also required to comply with the notice requirements of the Act if you are seeking to make a claim against Hamburg Township.  Verbal notification of a sewage backup or overflow event resulting in damage to personal property should be made to the Township within thirty (30) days of discovery.   Any claim you make must be made in writing within forty-five (45) days after the date the damage was discovered.  The written notice must contain your name, address, telephone number, the address of the affected property, the date of discovery of any property damages, and a brief description of the claim. 
Please use the following forms to report your claim:

All other sewer related questions should be directed to the Utilities Coordinator, Brittany K. Campbell at (810) 231-1000 Ext. 210 or via email at

Sign up for alerts

Learn More