Home Additions - Remodels - Documents Needed

Home Additions - Remodels - Documents Needed

First, you need to familiarize yourself with Chapter 36 (Zoning); Article II: Section 36-34  found Here. Also, setback requirements and height restrictions can be found in Chapter 36 (Zoning): Article IV (District Regulations): Section 36-186 and 187 found here.  Next, you will need to complete a Hamburg Township Land Use Permit

1.     Hamburg Township Land Use Permit Application must be completely filled out with the following information:

  • Top line (PROJECT ADDRESS) -should have address or Parcel ID#
  • Second section (OWNER) -should have the parcel owner’s contact information filled out.
  • Third section (CONTRACTOR) -should have the contractor's contact information filled out.
  • Last section (DESCRIBE WORK TO BE DONE) -should give as much detail as possible about work to be completed. If an air conditioner, a generator, or a fountain will be put in during the house build, please make note in this area that this will be installed and show where the unit will be installed on the site plan. We need to know where these units are being proposed to ensure they met our side, rear and front yard setbacks.
 2.    Submittals needed with your completed Land Use Permit Application: see the LUP Submittal Requirement Check List here.

  • For Residential projects  (3 copies of each submittal are needed).
  • For Commercial projects (4 copies of each submittal are needed-1 copy for Fire Marshall).
  • If plans are full sized sheets, we will require an electronic version of the plans also. Please email electronic copies of plans to Planning/Zoning Dept at planning@hamburg.mi.us.
  Project plans (work to be done) must contain:Exterior house floor plan

  • Plot map or plan (showing the front, side and rear setback measurements drawn to scale to the neighboring property lines),
  • Floor plan,
  • Elevation plan (side view of structure  height and width dimensions),
  • Description of work to be done with list of materials to be used.

 3.     Site plan of the parcel where work is to be done, with distance details showing the locations of ALL items below:

  • existing structures onsite (shed, decks, porches, driveways, etc.),
  • New addition proposal structure (with side, front and rear setbacks from the property lines),
  • Septic tank and leachate field,
  • the wells onsite,Floor plan with new Addition
  • grinder pump for sewer system,
  • sewer lateral line easement to street,
  • alleys and roadways (Street is always the front yard),
  • lakes and river bodies of water (always considered the rear yard),
  • a legend with directional NORTH,
  • dimensions of ALL structures with the yard setback measurements for front, rear, and both side yards from these structures (Depending on how your parcel is zoned will determine what your setbacks should be. See the Note below),
  • 50' buffer between buildings and wetland/ lake.
  • 125' buffer between buildings and rivers.
  • distance between structures, especially to ones being proposed.
  • If you are building a new home, or rebuilding within 400 ft. of a sewer line, you will need to call Brittany Campbell, the Utilities Coordinator, at (810) 231-1000 (Ext. 210) to ensure you have applied for and paid all sewer and water tap fees. These fees must be paid before your land use permit can be approved. Note: all construction and development must be at least 7.5 ft. from the grinder pump and sewer service easement.
  • An example of a typical site plan is shown above.

Note: It is important to know what Zoning District your parcel is in, to know what your required yard setbacks, maximum lot coverage, etc. that is found in our Zoning Regulations (Ordinance) here. Each zoning district has its own individual requirements and allowable uses. Also, you should know if you are in a wetland and/or in the FEMA 100-year flood zone. Livingston County GIS map can help you determine this here. We rely on property owners in providing us with where their property lines are located. If you do not know exactly where your property lines are please considered obtaining a boundary survey including location of structures on the lot. Click here for a list of area surveyors.

4.     ALL Contractors are required to provide a notarized letter of permission from homeowner, a copy of signed contract between contractor and the homeowner, or the Homeowner Letter of Authorization Form.

 5.     Payment fee for land use permit for an addition is $70. Each project has a different fee so it is best to review the varied fee schedule here to know how much to include for the permit you are applying for. Payment with check, cash, or credit card payment in person at the Township Hall.

6.      The Zoning Administrator may, at their discretion, require further documentation, if deemed necessary.

  • If you are in a designated floodplain area or on the Huron River, you will/may be required to submit a copy of your M-EGLE permit (Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy), and/or an Elevation Certificate that reflect the elevations on your construction plans. If you are required to submit and Elevation Certificate at construction, you will also need to provide a completed Elevation Certificate at foundation and final construction from a local surveyor.
  • See list of area surveyors. If you are in a wetland, you will need a wetland delineation from a wetland environmental specialist. Here is a list of local environmental consultants:
    1. ASTI of Brighton: (810) 225-2800
    2. Certus Environmental Group: (517) 376-2270
    3. EGLE/DEQ- Jeff Pierce: (517) 416-4297
    4. Metro Consulting Associates: (800) 525-6016
    5. Livingston Engineering: (810) 225-7100
    6. Washtenaw Engineering: (734) 761-8800

7.     You might be required to leave your land use application and project submittals here for a period of time so we can review the project. Your paperwork will be processed through the appropriate departments. Our inspector might need to go out to do a site inspection. You may need to stake out building projects such as a home, garages, decks, patios, pools, or any other structure that involves property lines and structures. You do not need to be home for us to do our inspection.

8.     Once the inspection is completed, and your project plans have been approved, we will call you to let you know. You will need to come back to the Planning & Zoning Dept. to sign your completed land use permit, pay the appropriate land use permit fee with the treasurer, and take your (2) stamped plans from the Planning & Zoning Department (that you will need to take over to the Livingston County Building Dept. in Howell) If you have any questions, please call the Planning and Zoning Office at (810) 222-1166.  

9.     You will take your Hamburg land use permit along with your (2) red stamped copies of your approved submittals to the Livingston County Building Department which is located at 2300 E. Grand River Ave., Howell, MI 48843. If you have any questions, please call them at (517) 546-3240 or visit their website at https://www.livgov.com/building.  At this point you will work with Livingston County Building and Health Departments until you are finished with your project. The actual building inspections required under the state construction building codes are completed by the Livingston County Building Department. 


Once you get your approved, paid land use permit, you will fill out Livingston County Building Department Building Permit here. The county will require you to show your approved township land use permit and stamped plans before applying for any permits with their office at 2300 E Grand River Ave. Suite 104, Howell, MI 48843.

Remember to provide detailed side elevations as well.

1-12-2024 LDP

Sign up for alerts

Learn More