When A Land Use Permit Is Needed

When A Land Use Permit Is Needed

First, you will need to complete a Hamburg Township Land Use Permit.  Note: There are permits for residential and permits for commercial/industrial.

Payment fee 
for land use permit. Each project has a different fee so it is best to review the varied fee schedule here to know how much to include for the permit you are applying for. Payment with check through postal mail OR check, cash, or credit card payment in person at the Township Hall.

Second, once you get your approved, paid land use permit, you will fill out Livingston County Building Department Building Permit here. The county will require you to show your approved township land use permit and stamped plans before applying for any permits with their office at 2300 E Grand River Ave. Suite 104, Howell, MI 48843.

A Land Use Permit is required for the following:
You need a land use permit whenever you build:

  • an accessory dwelling unit,
  • an accessory structure (like a garage, shed, gazebo, or pergola),
  • add an addition or remodel,
  • a deck or porch,
  • demolition of structure,
  • excavation, alteration or filling of land (50 cubic yards of soil),
  • encase a basement,
  • put up a fence,
  • a new home,
  • install mechanical equipment like a generator, furnace or air conditioner,
  • pour a cement patio,
  • tear off and shingle a roof,
  • replacing doors and windows,
  • use your home for short term rentals,
  • use your home for a home occupation (Home Occupation Acknowledgement form permit),
  • replace siding,
  • put in a swimming pool,
  • installation of an egress basement window

Sign up for alerts

Learn More